LAY COUNSELING TRAINING
Check back for possible dates in the future!
If you are interested in being on our contact list for future trainings, please fill out the online form HERE.
WHAT IS LAY COUNSELING?
Lay Counseling is people helping people!
It is God’s desire to work through His people, the Church, to offer a message of hope and comfort. We are all called to “carry each other’s burdens” (Gal. 6:2) and to care for one another with love.
Training is designed to educate and equip a community of helpers within the church to offer careful, biblical hope, guidance, encouragement and personal growth to hurting people in a hurting world.
Lay Counselors are non-professional volunteers trained by a professional Christian psychologist. They are staff supervised and supported by monthly team meetings giving them the competence and confidence to offer quality care from a biblical perspective.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING FOR?
- Men and women—college age and older
- Those interested in personal development
- Those interested in acquiring skills to be better listeners
- Those interested in applying to serve as lay counselors in the future
- Attend and participate in BOTH weekend sessions
- Read the two texts, as well as be able to articulate some of the basics of counseling theory as it is integrated with biblical truth
- Participate in live exercises designed to model and reinforce effective listening, responding and summarizing skills
- Learn the basics of short-term counseling and crisis intervention, as well as be able to discern when referrals are necessary or mandated